Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh No, Not Again!

A weird thing happened last week. Last Tuesday, I was watching Hayden do some 'wild and crazy' handstands in the living room when I thought to myself, "Boy, I'm surprised he doesn't break his neck doing handstands like that, infact, it's amazing he hasn't broken his arm again." The very next day, Hayden BREAKS HIS ARM! Maybe I should be more careful with what I think!





You may be asking, why this photo of Hayden playing his PlayStation with one hand.....READ ON...this photo has more meaning than his broken arm!


So on Wednesday afternoon around 4pm I get a call from Pinehill School saying that Hayden has taken a tumble and that his arm needs to be looked at right away. I rushed out the door, having just stepped out of the shower, (I wasn't suppose to get Hayden until 4:30 so I decided to get my shower over with earlier since it was too cold in the evenings) with no time to grab Ashton's shoes, or change Noah's leaking nappy. Sure enough, when I arrived at the school office (greeted by the Principal who exclaimed, "It's a definite break"), Hayden's dismangled arm looked very familiar - the same arm and exactly the same break as when he was three. Hayden had been doing a sports programme after school and he says that he tripped over another kids foot and then landed on his arm to support his fall. So we headed off to the hospital while Hayden sat in the front seat of the car crying and whimpering with his arm dangling by his side. Another Mother took Ashton home to her place and someone else offered to take Noah, but I knew we'd be awhile, so I kept him with me.


My Mum has worked in the emergency room at the local hospital for about 15 years and finally when one of her grandsons makes it in....she's on holiday!! But it was nice that all the ladies behind the counter knew who we were. Five hours later we came out of the hospital and Hayden had his arm fixed. It was a long afternoon/evening and by the time we got home at 9:30pm we were exhausted. Hayden says he enjoyed being in hospital because he liked being in the big bed watching the Olympics. He says the worst part of being in hospital was in the very beginning when the nurses wanted to put a drip in his arm so he could have some morphine for the pain. Hayden was convinced that getting the drip put in was going to be worse than his broken arm, so in the end, I left the room and told the nurses to 'do what they needed to do'. Hayden soon realized morphine was pretty cool! Eventually, after an x-ray and lots of waiting infront of the TV, Hayden got taken to a room where they put him to sleep and put his arm back into place. He wasn't completely out as his eyes were still open during the procedure, but he couldn't feel anything and didn't know what was going on. He had more x-rays to check that his bones were aligned, and then finally it was time to go home.



On Wednesday evening I learned two things:

The first, was that it's always awful and upsetting to see your child crying in pain, but if you've been through the drama of a 'break' before, it's amazing how much more relaxed you are the second time!

The second, was that Hayden has a real true love for his PlayStation that he just got for his sixth birthday.




On the way to the hospital, through the tears and the pain:

Hayden: "But, will I still be able to play my PlayStation?"




On the hospital bed waiting for an x-ray:

Hayden: "But, how will I play it with just one hand?"





After the x-ray:

Hayden: "Can I play my PlayStation when I get home?"




When he wakes up with his cast on:

Hayden: "Can I stay home from school tomorrow to play my PlayStation?"






When he comes back from another x-ray:

Hayden: "What if I can't play with one hand, then what will I do?"






All the way to the hospital I assured Hayden how lucky he was that he'd broken his arm and not his fingers...then he really wouldn't be able to play his PlayStation!! Sometimes in a Mother's desperate need to comfort her children she says or does things she shouldn't. In this case, I promised Hayden he could stay home from school the next day and play his PlayStation all day!!!!!!! That made him really happy, and he did exactly that, although, come the afternoon he admitted he was finally tired of it. Initially, Hayden was feeling a little down about his arm and he didn't want any of his friends to see his cast. He was really worried about going to school and having to do things with only one hand, ie. taking his shoes on and off, going to the toilet, etc. I had to force him to go the next day, but as soon as he got into his classroom Hayden began to smile again. His friends rushed up to see him and touch his cast. Within seconds they were all giggling and being silly and Hayden was back to being his normal self.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! So funny about the Playstation!

I had no idea your mother worked at NHS!

Anonymous said...

LOL! So funny about the Playstation!

I had no idea your mother worked at NHS!