Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I absolutely love February. It is the one month of the year we get very little rain and the weather is guaranteed to be hot and sunny. It's not the heat or sunshine that I love, it's the fact that there is so much do to in the community. Every Friday and Saturday night an outdoor movie is shown at a park or reserve. It is so much fun taking along blankets and snacks and laying down on the grass to watch a movie under the stars. On Thursday the 20th of February, Ashton and I have a date night to go see Mama Mia. We've watched it a million times at home, but as Ashton loves it so much that it will be a real treat for him to watch it under the night sky, late at night. Tony and Hayden can't stand to watch the movie...so they don't get to come!
Another thing I love about summer is that there's a 'toy mobile unit' in every neighbourhood. Each weekend (usually a Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon and evening) the toy mobil is at one of the local parks. It has 'heaps' of really fun toys for the kids of every age group that are spread out all across the park/grass. It's a great way for parents to relax and enjoy watching their kids play. It's quite a site to see what seems like hundreds of kids playing with hundreds of toys. The parents relax on the grass under the trees snacking and reading.

Hayden started school again yesterday. He has a really cool teacher, Mrs Davies who is South African. She loves insects and bugs and for the first day of class she bought a frog to school. Hayden thought that was the coolest thing and when he came home from school he talked about the frog all evening.


Tony loves listening to his ipod on the way to and from work as he travels on the bus and train. As he was recently downloading podcasts he discovered a great parent help site called http://www.themightymommy.com/. I know there are millions of these parent help sites out there, but I really enjoyed this one. They have topics that discuss how to deal with tantrums, boredom, biting, kids out of control, kids with fears, etc, etc. They also had a great article/talk/segment (I can't decide which word to use!) for parents on 'How to cope with a bad day' which I ended up finding really useful. Yesterday was definitely turning out to be a bad day; I was pretty grumpy and tired as all three boys ended up in our bed from 2am onwards. We have a California King, but I still ended up on the very edge of the bed and found it impossible to sleep with all three boys wanting to be close to me! So come yesterday afternoon, my patience was gone and my voice was HIGH since the boys kept jumping over the couches and Noah kept testing his lungs out to see how loud he could scream. The mighty mommy suggestion was to 'FAKE THE HAPPINESS'. Sounds a bit silly, but I gave it a go and it worked! I actually enjoyed myself as I faked the happiness by being silly and fun and pretending I was in a good state. It also suggested getting the play doh out for the kids and pounding on some of it as you play with them to release some of your emotion. It even suggested to give up on tidying up and go make a mess!! The remedy's might not work for everyone, but even if they work for a few, I guess they've achieved something. I really don't think I would go as far as to 'purposely' make a mess in my own house as the boys do a good enough job of that on their own! Besides, no one would come along and clean it up for me so I'd just be making more work for myself.


Tony is always concerned that I sometimes write really boring things on my blog and that no one wants to read about the mundane little tasks of life. I always respond with, "Well, it's not your blog, and you're not a stay-at-home MOTHER." A couple of my friends recently did some cute posts on 'It's my blog and I'll ramble if I want to' and 'Got a problem with it - then don't like, don't read.' I agree with both of them one hundred percent. I don't write this blog for anyone else other than myself (even though I do enjoy the responses). In actual fact, as a mother who's always got a million things to do....errands, phone calls, cooking, laundry, housework, church meetings, whatever, this is my way of sitting down to relax and taking a time out. Whenever I need a breather, I would much rather write a post about my life and family than sit down to watch a TV show! It's very satisfying and very relaxing! So if I start writing about how I've just done 10 loads of laundry and I've got a bee on my head...and you start to fall asleep....then I guess I've relaxed you too!
Below: Uncle Travis and the boys watch a movie together...STAR WARS for the 50th time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute pic!

Very funny re 'boring blog' comment. I don't think they're boring at all - in fact I came and visited of my own volition and no invite! =)

o man, I know what you mean re grumpy days (tho these are much fewer thank goodness) - funny how your voice got HIGH! that parent site sounds good ..