Friday, February 13, 2009

The Huhu Beetle




This scary, huge, horrible, gross beetle was in our house the other night! It's native to NZ and is the largest beetle in the country.


On Tuesday night Tony went to check on the boys before going to bed and when he turned their bedroom light on he saw one of these beetles on the boys window drapes.


It's a good thing Tony was home because I would have completly freaked out if I was on my own and it's a gaurantee I would have started running down the driveway!


Tony and I have been married for ten years and I have never seen him afraid of a bug. He always happily comes to get spiders for me and picks them up with a tiny piece of toilet paper without hesitating (we get a lot of spiders in our house since we are surrounded by so many trees with bush in the backyard). However, the sight of this beetle in our house was the first time I really saw Tony afraid.


We stood in the boys doorway together while the boys slept soundly and figured out a plan to get rid of it. The first plan of action was that Tony decided to get a large book to try and flick it out the window. When he tried it the beetle went absolutely crazy and started flying all over the room, making a horrible clicking sound and bouncing off the walls and ceiling. Tony ran out of the bedroom so fast that he somehow tripped over his feet and landed in the hallway flat on his face!!!!!!! It was absolutely hilarious, but really frightening at the same time! We laughed and panicked (all at the same time) as we hid in the bathroom together with the door closed until the bug settled down. Eventually we got brave enough to check out where the bug had re-landed and the next plan of action was to turn all the lights off so the bug would be attracted to outside light. We patiently waited in the dark for it to move again (as we hid in our bedroom), but Tony got 'impatient' and wanted to get rid of it. We also didn't want to go to sleep knowing that the bug could stay in the bedroom all night....besides, there was no way either of us were going to fall asleep until we had peace of mind it was truely gone. We heard the bug make another move and another clicking sound. Tony eventually discovered it hiding behind the boys' toy chest and managed to squash it/kill it by moving the chest into the wall. Wow, what a crunch!!!! Tony couldn't believe all the 'stuff' that came out of it - it was definitely full of a lof of juice. I was way too scared to even look at it dead! I asked Tony if he would like some toilet paper to pick it up and he replied, "Are you kidding, bring me the whole roll of paper towels'.!!!!! For anyone who knows how cheap Tony can be the fact that he asked for a whole roll of paper towels mean't serious stuff!


After sharing our story with a couple of people the next day we later learned that the Maori people actually enjoy eating these beetles (they consider it a delicacy and claim that they taste like buttery chicken). Now that truly is extremely gross!!! Not even Tony would take a million dollars to eat one of those things.


Thankfully....and unbelievably.....both Hayden and Ashton slept through the whole thing and barely stirred (even when the beetle went crazy hitting the walls). Although halfway through the ordeal Tony grabbed the boys and put them into our room. After this 'beetle encounter' I'm now a little paranoid about opening windows in the evening and I'm certainly not comfortable sleeping with our balcony doors open anymore during the night as we have been doing (I did wake up about two am a few days back to see Tony hiding under the covers because something was flying around the bedroom and making lots of noise - it happened to be the same beetle). We've decided our bedroom fan is a much safer option for keeping us cool upstairs!
Tony definitely deserves the trophy this week for his bravery!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony's #1!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! O what a hoot!!! =D
Thought I'd take a mini break from work .. that is the most funniest story!

Its so funny you're both scared of it too. I don't find them scary, but cant say we've had one flying and clicking like mad in our house =) And I didn't know the Maoris ate them!

Do you get white tails in your house too? We do but Chris is too lazy to spray our house =( despite hearing stories from others how big and nasty the bite wounds can be.

If you think HuHu bugs are scary - you should show Tony a picture of a WETA!!

Clever girl for adding hte youtube vid on you blog too =)

catch you later
Julia =)