Sunday, February 14, 2010

Nursery

A few months back I was called to be the Nursery Leader in our Ward. I willingly accepted the call, but to be really honest, I wasn't that thrilled about it. One of the reasons I accepted the call is because I like little children, and another reason I accepted it is because no one wants to be in Nursery - it can be a really hard calling to fill, so I would have really let myself down (and HF) to have said 'no'. After all, who really wants to spend their Sunday morning with a bunch of little kids that cry, fight, and make a constant mess (especially if your a mum dealing with your own little kids 24/7). It's a calling that doesn't require much intellect and doesn't offer much in the way of spiritual nourishment. It's also a calling that doesn't involve much learning and that doesn't involve you to give/share of yourself in front of others and vice versa.

And being in Nursery definitely has some big challenges that many people in the ward don't want to deal with.... from the child who wont stop hitting to get what he wants and is always making the other kids cry, to the child who crys & sobs hysterically week after week because their mum has left them.

BUT, like all callings, it is a calling that can be very rewarding and fulfilling given the right attitude and dedication. And I have really discovered that over the past month.

I am serving with two other girls (one who is a lot younger than me and the other who is older than me) and between the three of us we have turned our Sunset Ward Nursery into a wonderful place to be. Every Sunday I end up feeling the spirit in our Nursery because of the innocence and happiness the children show. Sometimes they show so much love to us and each other that it can be really touching. And teaching them a lesson can be truly rewarding, especially when they sit still and their eyes are big and wide and you can see them absorbing everything you've said.

We have tried so hard to settle the little girl who has cried for so long and today we finally had a break through. It was such a happy feeling for us (and the kids) to know that Nivea stopped crying and actually enjoyed Nursery for a few minutes.

It takes more than one leader to make an auxiliary a great experience, and thanks to the other girls in Nursery with me who give 110 percent every Sunday, I love my calling and look forward to it every Sunday.

No comments: