Monday, February 20, 2012

Mama, I'm Five!

I called this post 'Mama, I'm Five' because for the last year and a half Noah has called me Mama instead of Mum. I have no idea why! I like it though and it's pretty cute the way he comes up to me and says, "Mama, can you help me? Mama, what's the time? Or, Mama, I'm hungry."

On Sunday Noah finally had his 5th birthday. I say 'finally' because for the past year he's been constantly asking when his birthday is coming up. And being the youngest of three brothers he is always wanting to do what his older brothers do - including going to school. Often times when I have dropped Hayden and Ashton off at school in the morning, Noah has said, "It's not fair, how come I dont get to go to school? When do I get to go?"

Friday was his last day of kindy. At the end of the day he got to sit on the birthday chair and the teacher showed his portfolio (a scrapbook of what he does at kindy) to all the kids and talked about what Noah would be doing the following week.

Noah chooses his favourite colour balloon from the birthday box;


It is a kindy tradition that the birthday child bring a cake to share with everyone so I made a yummy cake from scratch (and I made the icing) and Noah had fun handing a piece to each child at home time.


It was really sweet listening to all of Noah's little friends say goodbye to him. He leaves behind his 'bestest' kindy friends Hayden Boxall, Jeffrey and Cooper.


His birthday fell on a Sunday this year so he also took cupcakes to church for his very small Sunday school class: Nevaeh, Zac and Hawaiiki.




Last week he had two school visits. On the first visit I stayed with him and on the second visit he stayed on his own. He was very, very quiet in class and his teacher says he didn't say a word the entire time!

He was unhappy about going to school on his second visit because he had a wiggles school bag. I should've known better that he is way too big for the Wiggles now (but it was worth a shot since I already had the bag in the cupboard). Fortunately for Noah, Nana gave him a Ben 10 back pack for his birthday. Noah is really into Ben 10 these days.

On his first day/morning of school, me, Tony and Uncle Travis took him to class. Lucky for us Travis had his new iphone with him and was able to capture the special morning with photos. Noah was feeling a little nervous and anxious, but he did well considering he didn't know any of the kids or his teacher. The only thing on Noah's mind was being able to go outside and play. When I picked him up at the end of the day his teacher said he got weepy at lunchtime and started to cry (because he expected it to be home time) but she put a video on for the class and he came right again. On Tuesday, the second day of school, Noah complained in the morning about getting ready. After he woke, he came downstairs wearing casual clothes instead of his uniform and he was not impressed when I said he had to go to school AGAIN. I don't think he quite comprehends 5 days a week yet! It is a bit of a shock for little 5 year old's to all of a sudden start going to school 5 days a week from 9-3!

A few photos of Noah's first morning. I'm really glad Travis was there to take this photo as I will look at it 20 years from now and remember how special it was holding Noah's hand as I took him to school for the first time. Twenty years from now he definitely won't be holding my hand anymore;


Uncle Travis tries to coax Noah along to his classroom, but he just wanted to hold mama's hand;


Noah chooses a hook to hang up his school bag;


A slightly nervous and anxious Noah;


Me talking to Noah about what he needs to do every morning when he arrives at school;


On Noah's first day he came home from school, had a good play outside and then got stuck into his homework with enthusiasm. He had to cut out magazine pictures starting with the letter M and then practice writing a line of m's. He ran outside and told his brothers, "I have homework, I have to do my homework now!" I hope he stays excited about it and I have a feeling he will. He loves learning, he's very smart and he WANTS to know how to read and write. He never resists sounding out words and trying to write. I think he will do great in school.

I miss my little boy during the day. He has been such a joy over the last 5 years. I have always said one thing about Noah...If every parent had a child as easy going, well behaved and content as Noah, then parents would keep on having children. Noah has been such a dream compared to Ashton. Over the last 5 years I could take Noah absolutely anywhere with me (the supermarket, dentist, out to lunch with a friend and even to a facial appointment)and have 100 percent surety that he would be a good, quiet, well-behaved boy. Ashton on the other hand...I couldn't take him anywhere because he always got up to so much mischief and couldn't play quietly for anything in the world!

BUT, having just said what a good boy Noah has been, he is totally ready for school as he has been getting bored silly at home in the last few months. And we all know that when kids are bored and unstimulated they become naughty little monkeys! Life is definitely a little easier with Noah at school now as I don't have to go back and forth to kindy in the middle of the day and Juliet can have a long, uninterrupted nap which makes her much happier.

No comments: