Saturday, February 18, 2012

Great Barrier Island

Last weekend we spent a few days on Great Barrier Island.

Each time I visit the Island I come home feeling very blessed to live in such a beautiful country. When Tony and I were engaged in 1998 and Tony came to NZ for the first time, this is one of the places I took him.

Is there a more beautiful beach in the world than this one???


It normally costs around $500 to take your car and a large family like ours onto the ferry. We feel very fortunate that we got to go for free. Although I still look forward to Tony working at the church offices again, I have to say the perks/benefits of working for Sealink are very exciting. The ferry ride is 4 1/2 hrs each way. The boys enjoyed watching movies below deck and eating. A few pictures taken on the way over;

Leaving Auckland city at 7am;


Our car to the far right;


Tony and the boys chatting to the skipper;


Passengers relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery;


Approaching the Island;


Tony with Juliet (10 months);


Me and Juliet;


We stayed at Shoal Bay Estate and the owners names were Val and Francis. Tony try's to get them as much business as possible (encourages visitors to the Island to stay at their lodge) so in return they kindly said we could stay for free (meals included!) Once again this would've cost us $500. They were awesome hosts, cooked beautiful meals for us and Francis was really good with the kids. They even insisted on babysitting Juliet one night;

Shoal Bay Estate;


Our room. The whole house was made of this beautiful wood. We had the whole 2nd level of the house to ourselves...3 large bedrooms, a living area & bathroom.


Francis lets the boys pat the chickens and collect the eggs;


Noah (5 in a few days) holding a chicken;


After dinner Francis got out the kayaks and off went Tony and the boys across the road. This was the view right outside our bedroom window. It was sooo lovely to sleep with the balcony doors open and wake up to such a pretty view. We lay in bed for ages just staring at the water! It was stunning.


Tony and Noah in the left kayak and Hayden and Ashton in the right kayak;


Our balcony;


A couple of pictures taken around the Island;






Val & Francis organized a BBQ on the beach one evening. They invited some friends and neighbours and everyone played a game of cricket after we'd eaten. Hayden and Ashton both got turns at batting;



Noah wasn't too interested in the cricket game, but he loved the swing;


The sun was setting and Noah was still on the swing;


And lastly;

At Medlands Beach Dad and the boys spent all afternoon swimming in tide pools (the sea was a bit too cold). The boys had fun jumping off the rocks into the water. Juliet and I played in the sand, napped by the rocks and made friends with some other people on the beach;


Tony and Hayden's feet (look how beautiful the water is);


Noah had fun running along the beach;


What a wonderful trip we had!
Thank you Sealink.
And thank you Heavenly Father for creating such a beautiful land for us to enjoy.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow Wow Wow! I'm retiring to New Zealand. I just have to convince Heathcliffe to choose the North Island rather than the South Island. :)