When I grew up we had the best neighbours in the world: 'Mary and Grant Haigh'. Travis and I were at their home all the time as kids, and their son Jade was always playing at our home. I absolutely LOVED looking after Jade. The other day I recalled one of my greatest memories of Mary and Grant; Our homes were very close together and sometimes when I would lay in my mum's bed with the window open, I/we could hear Grant tickling Mary while they were in bed at night. I always remember Mary's laughter.
Me and Travis at Jade's 2nd birthday party;

When Mary and Grant first got married they took a trip to Great Barrier Island and fell in love with it. They loved it so much they decided to build a log house on the Island and operate it as a Bed and Breakfast for visitors to stay. They spent the next 20 years of their lives fulfilling their dream. They had hundreds of logs shipped to the Island from Canada and they paid for a large group of Mennonites to come and help them build it. Grant was a builder so he designed the log house himself and built a lot of it on his own with the help of their good friend Nigel.
Travis with Jade, Mary and Grant (on the right in blue) and Nigel;
When I was about 13 years old and Travis was 9, we took our first trip to the Island and stayed with Mary and Grant for a few days. They were in the very beginning stages of digging up dirt and laying the foundation.
Travis and Jade on one of the diggers;
Mary, Travis and Jade. The frame of the log house;

I saw the log house in different stages as it was built, but I never got to see the final thing. Mary and Grant had it up and running for a couple of years, but then they ran out of money and their marriage fell apart and now no one runs the lodge. It's a very sad ending to such a wonderful dream. And a very sad ending for 2 people who made such a great couple and once lived a very happy life together :(
When we took our recent trip to the Barrier Tony bumped into a lady he has a connection with through Sea Link. By chance she knew the current owner of the lodge and arranged for us to have a look through it. A very wealthy lady owns it now, but is going to sell it once again.
I was so excited to see the final thing and to have a look inside. It was just stunning. At the same time I felt really sad though. I still feel like the log house belongs to Mary and Grant and it was almost as if I could feel their presence when looking around the rooms.
The front of the log house. It doesn't look like much from the front, but the back and inside are really neat;

The back of the log house and the beautiful view;


Logs on the outside;

Logs and rooms on the inside;







Unfortunately, the lady who showed us around didn't take us upstairs, but she did say there were 6 bedrooms on the top floor. As I looked around I also felt sad to see that all the drapes were closed and the furniture was covered with sheets. No one has operated the log house for a few years now. If only Tony and I had a few million dollars to buy it and I was a super fancy cook, willing to continuously cook for groups of guests! But considering I don't enjoy cooking much, neither Tony or I are into constant entertaining and socializing AND that we are somewhat poor...this lifestyle isn't for us.
I have a prayer in my heart that the right people buy the log house this time round and make it the success Mary and Grant always hoped and dreamed it would be.
No comments:
Post a Comment