Thursday, September 25, 2008

September Catch Up

Ashton (2nd from the left) in his swimming class on Thursday morning.



I'm a little behind in my updates so although this post says September 25th, the events are from September 17th.

I got Noah's photo taken at a little photo booth in the mall this week (not that I really need to since I take so many photo's myself). But occassionally it's nice to have them done professionally and I haven't done that since Noah was a newborn. The photo studio's here are TERRIBLE and I really miss 'The Picture People' at the Lakewood Mall where we use to live. I always loved taking Hayden to the Picture People when he was little (or Kiddie Kandids at Babies R Us). The little photo booth at the mall had some nice photographers who seemed to be experienced. Noah put on an act and mischievously laughed which made for some great photos, but then he got ‘playful’ by throwing a teddy bear at the photographer - hoping that she might throw it back, which she didn't. I will see in a couple of weeks time if the photo's are worth buying, but if not, it was fun to watch Noah perform and to see him posing with a truck and a bunch of bears.



Hayden lost another tooth this week. He was very disappointed when he woke up in the morning to find his tooth still under his pillow. The tooth fairy had forgotten to come! Tony and I both went along with a story that the fairy had been extremely busy during the night because she had so many teeth to collect, but Hayden was first on her list for the next night. Before bedtime Hayden made a sign that he stuck to the outside of his bedroom window that read: 'Hayden's tooth here.' The tooth fairy did come the next night and Hayden got $4. What sort of parents are we?


On Friday, my friend Fleur and I did some cooking (Fleur has been a best friend of mine since I was five). Fleur is a fantastic cook so she showed me how to make some really tasty lasagne and how to make a fast and easy dessert. We had a fun morning cooking and chatting, and Fleur and I always love to joke that if we took 'her' cooking skills and 'my' cleaning skills we'd make the perfect woman. The dessert in the photo is a mini pavlova (meringue) which is already made from the supermarket, we just whipped the cream and decorated them. Easy, fast and impressive… and very YUM! I decorated this one myself.

Now I did say in the very beginning of my blog that sometimes our family isn’t perfect (which is sometimes because of me, sometimes because of Tony and sometimes because of our children) but here is an example of our ‘not perfect’ family. When Fleur and I decorated the pavlova’s we decided together that the presentation didn’t look so good on a floral plate and that the dessert would stand out better on a ‘white’ plate because of the chocolate sauce. So guess what I did the next day?? That's right, I went out and bought some white plates (which I know I didn't really need to do) but I was determined to make my dessert special and to impress my family. And what did Tony do when I came home with the white plates? Yip, “What are those, what are they for, why did you buy them when we already have a million plates???” Yes, he had a little fit over me spending money unnecessarily, which could've turned into quite an unhappy evening, but here comes the good part…. He went upstairs for a few moments, must have thought about it and then got his senses back. He had decided that he wanted to eat my dessert after all and that 6 extra plates wasn’t a huge deal. So the story of our not so perfect family ends happily as we sat on the couch together enjoying our pavlova’s. **A note to my boys: if you are reading this when you are grown men think about what you are doing before you decide to ruin special moments. And remember, your wife does many things for you day after day so treat her good! And as the saying goes, IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY, AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY.

Tony and Hayden have been wearing Pedometers around their waists everyday this week. They are participating in an Urban study which looks to see if the set up of our neighbourhood effects our activity. The pedometers keep track of how many steps are taken each day. Hayden has been taking it very seriously, diligently putting his pedometer on when he first wakes and taking it off when he climbs into bed. For everyone who participates they go into a draw to win a free trip to Australia. Hayden is CONVINCED he’s going to Australia.


Ashton and Noah have been good buddies this week playing with their Hot Wheel Cars. They have spent lots of time together, lining the cars up under the kitchen table and zooming them around the carpet. Noah loves to copy what Ashton does, but sometimes, since he is a baby, he's not quite up for the serious play that Ashton gets into. Ashton gets quite involved with lining his cars up for a car race. This always gets Noah's attention and curiousity and usually he will pick up one of the cars and run off with it. Of course this upsets Ashton so he grabbes it back from Noah leaving poor Noah absolutely devastated!!!














My new calling as 2nd counselor in Primary is awesome. However, at the moment I don't know any of the children, I don't know any of the Primary songs and I barely know how Primary runs on a Sunday, so I am really looking forward to feeling more settled and familiar with things. It is keeping me busier than expected because in less than 5 weeks we have to do a sacrament presentation and so far none of the talks have been written or assigned to the children. Talk about being thrown in the deep end! I'm releived not to be the new President who is somewhat overwhelmed and stressed at the moment. As a new presidency though, we all have faith that it will work out and that we'll be able to pull something together quickly. I never knew until now all the effort that goes into running Primary and how many concerns the Presidency has to deal with in regards to all the children. We have children from broken homes, children with inactive parents, a 7yr old boy whos mother just died, children who don't want to be in Primary, children who feel left out, children who keep locking their teacher out of the classroom, ecetera, ecetera!


I was reminded yet again this week of how blessed I am! For the second time in my life I left my wallet in a supermarket trolley in the middle of a carpark. How I can manage to do that I really don't know! I came home from shopping in the weekend and for some reason got the thought to get something out of my wallet, which I then realized was missing. I then raced back to the shops (trying hard not to speed) and luckily for me my wallet was still sitting in the same trolley in the same spot where I had left it. With so many cars and people coming and going I have to wonder how nobody would notice it and take it, but thankfully they didn't. In both instances, here and in LA, when I've left my wallet, it has been so visible for people to see that the only explanation for why they haven't seen it is because of someone up above looking out for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, you must have felt terrible after making the special desert for them =( Lucky Tony came to his senses =)

It is funny you went and got white plates especially. But pple often do use white dishes for presenting meals on.

Jen Kesler said...

Always remember that food is the best way to a man's stomach...er..I mean "heart." So the next time you want to buy something keep that in mind!!