I wanted to post this 2 weeks ago, but just as I was about to we had yet another problem with our Internet and only got it fixed last night.
Previously written;
The lesson in RS this week was Obedience and I was asked to teach it.
Having very little confidence in myself in front of others, I expected myself to be a complete nervous wreck beforehand, but instead I felt calm and relaxed.
I realized that the more I learned and studied the topic during the week, my testimony of Obedience grew. As my testimony and knowledge grew the more at peace I felt to teach.
Interestingly enough, I really had to discipline myself during the week to devote my spare time to my lesson. I have little spare time these days, but with the time I had, I badly wanted to keep writing posts for my blog since I was finally on a roll. I also had strong urges to vacuum the living room, get draws cleaned out, wash bed sheets that were well over due, etc, etc. In fact, the things I wanted to do kept growing so much that I had to write a list to stick on the fridge; bake muffins for school lunches, buy new pants for Noah, take a photo of Juliet in blessing gown, write a thank you card for the Young family….. I was beginning to wonder why all these things - during this particular week - kept coming in to my mind.
Now that my lesson is over, I realize that those urges (you could also call them temptations) was just Satan knocking at my door wanting me to be unprepared, stressed and nervous. If I had done all those things there is no way I would have been spiritually prepared for my lesson.
And now that my lesson is over and I have my free time back the bed sheets, muffins and living room floor don’t seem that important after all. My motivation is gone!
When I got the phone call asking me to teach I couldn't give an answer straight away. I ‘ummed and arred’ so much on the phone that the RS counsellor told me to call back with a decision in a couple of days. During that couple of days I was extremely close to saying no. I rationalized and felt I had some pretty good reasons as to why I should opt out;
“I don’t have enough time, I have my hands full taking care of the kids.
I have a huge fear of speaking in front of people, so much so that I can’t even make comments during RS lessons. I need to take baby steps and start with making comments first.
I’m not spiritual enough to teach others. I feel too inadequate compared to many of the sisters in our ward. Many of them are very spiritual with a great knowledge of the gospel.
The teachers that are assigned to teach on a regular basis have a real natural ability to teach and they have a gift at speaking from the heart...I definitely don’t.”
I knew exactly why I was going to say ‘no’ but at the last minute I felt I couldn't let the counsellor down, and I knew that taking the easy way out was letting myself down too. Now I realize that had I said 'no' I would still be in the same spiritual place I was a week ago. But because I said yes I grew, and little did I know at the time, the topic was exactly what I needed to focus on for a few days. God really does prepare a way in all things, no matter what the command may be...from the tiny opportunity to teach a lesson or give a talk, to the huge opportunity of being a President or Bishop.
I really like the following quotes on Obedience...something to remember and ponder during the week;
Obedience is a powerful spiritual medicine. It comes close to being a cure-all.Boyd K. Packer
The greatest single lesson we can learn in mortality is that when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right.Thomas S. Monson
I made this my rule, “When the Lord commands, do it.”Joseph Smith
Obedience – that which God will never take by force – he will accept when freely given. And he will then return to you freedom that you can hardly dream of – the freedom to feel and know, the freedom to do, and the freedom to be, at least a thousand fold more than we offer him. Strangely enough, the key to freedom is obedience.Boyd K. Packer
Whatever God requires is right, no matter what it is, although we may not see the reason thereof until all of the events transpire.
Joseph Smith
There are many areas in my life and principles of the gospel that I need to be a lot more Obedient with. After studying for this lesson Joseph Smiths plain and simple words are forever in my mind 'JUST DO IT'. I particularly love what Boyd Packer said in reference to Obedience, that it is the key to freedom. And yet we so often think the opposite, that being obedient (going to church for 3 hours, giving up our time to read scriptures, owning up to a mistake, paying tithing etc) means loosing our freedom.
As I said, I have many areas of obedience to work on, but as a sister pointed out towards the end of my lesson I was obedient to accepting the call to teach and that's a good start!
3 comments:
Thank you for that wonderful post. It is SO true! I feel like that so often. I'm sure you did an awesome job!
Loved your post! You are a righteous daughter of God! You ARE spiritual! You are an awesome mother! I wish I could have heard your lesson. I know it as probably wonderful! You are wonderful! Love ya! ♥
Wow good on you loretta x thanks for sharing that.
Julia
Post a Comment