
I've just realized my blog has becomed quite 'churchified' over the past month with my posts on Nursery, Satan's Scheme and now RS. (I'm sure churchified isn't really a word, but one knows what I mean).
This week 5 of the Sisters in our Ward (including me) were asked to give their testimony of the Importance and Divinity of the Relief Society Programme. It was to celebrate RS's birthday and the testimonies are to be printed and compiled for the missionaries to share with some of the families they are currently teaching.
I absolutely gringe when I am asked to give my testimony of anything because I am so fearful of speaking in front of a large group if I am not reading from a piece of paper. Without words written on paper, I struggle to speak from the heart, I can’t focus, I don’t even think I can make sense, and I cannot force myself to smile if there are a whole lot of people starring at me! Maybe it’s a fear that I’ve let get somewhat out of control, but nevertheless, I was soooo relieved when I was asked to write my testimony as opposed to delivering it verbally.
I really enjoyed this little assignment during the week. It made me think and ponder on something I've never given much thought to before. Or, I should say it made me aware of how I really feel about something and how important it is.
The Importance and Divinity of the Relief Society Programme
When I first started attending Relief Society at the age of 18 I wasn’t too excited about it. In fact, I thought it was quite boring and most of the time I didn’t understand what the sisters were talking about. I use to attend reluctantly and half-heartedly, barely paying attention to the lessons and only showing interest when Homemaking was scheduled and there was going to be some kind of fun arts and crafts project.
I guess back then, I didn’t have the wisdom to know how much RS would actually mean to me one day. As I have taken steps in life at becoming a wife and mother, and as I have grown in the gospel over the years, I now realize how great the RS programme is. So great, that I honestly wonder how I would get by without it.
Over the years, RS has become my main source of inspiration. It inspires me to live the gospel to its fullest and to always better myself. I love and need the constant reminder to do my visiting teaching, keep the Sabbath Day Holy, or to remember to pray. I love and need the constant reminder to keep the covenants I made in the Temple and to lead my children in the gospel the way Heavenly Father wants me to.
Over the years the RS programme has become my main source of support knowing that the sisters are always there to help in time of need, whether it be physically or emotionally.
It is also a huge source of spiritual nourishment in my life. My soul is fed and uplifted through the Sisters who have been blessed with an ability to teach. The words they speak and the testimonies they share are sometimes all I need to strengthen my faith or get me through the challenges of another week.
Nearly twenty years later since I first started going to RS, I can honestly say it’s very seldom I find the RS programme boring, and now I not only listen to the lessons, but apply them to my life.
It is through the Relief Society Programme that I am reminded weekly of how fortunate I am to have the gospel in my life and to have a Saviour who is always there for me. It is through the Relief Society Programme that I am continually reminded of how as sisters in Zion we are all paddling in the same boat together trying to get back to our Father in Heaven, withstand our trials, and live the gospel. If it wasn’t for the Relief Society Programme I’m pretty sure most of us would sink!

Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment