Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ashton's Birthday


It's hard to believe Ashton turned 7 today. I still have clear memories of Ashton turning 2 when we first moved to NZ. Time is a funny thing...one moment it seems to stand still and the next you wonder where the weeks and years have gone.

A summary of Ashton's day:
Ashton was the first one awake this morning.
He crept downstairs and played play station until I woke up and said "Put that away please!"
Then I thought for a moment and decided he could have 10 minutes to enjoy himself since I seldom let him play it these days.
For breakfast Ashton had rice bubbles with LOTS of yoghurt on top and as usual he left all the milk in his bowl, but drank most of it once I asked him to.
He organized his school bag and sorted out his 'Gogo's' so that he could swap the ones he didn't want during his lunch break.
Today at school he was Star of the day and line leader.
In his lunch box he had half a carrot, 1 green apple (green are his absolute favourite - he usually eats 2 a day - and he always eats the seeds and core only leaving the stick part!), 3 strawberries, 2 rolls that each had a chicken sausage in them and 1 large, sweet, cinnamon raisin bun that was a special treat. He may be a small, skinny boy, but he can definitely eat! He ate everything but the cinnamon bun which he didn't like.
His teacher, Mrs Ellen Von Collas, wrote me an email after school saying she was so, so sorry she didn't know it was Ashton's birthday and that she would make it up to him tomorrow.
When I picked the boys up from school at 3.25pm at the bottom field, Ashton came up to the car window (in true fashion with grass stained feet) and asked me when his birthday was!!! He was extremely confused about his birthday being today, but his actual party being on Saturday. I think a couple of kids at school confused him because they'd received Ashton's invite and were convinced his b-day was Saturday. On the way to get Noah from Kindy I kept explaining it to Ashton and he kept saying "I just don't get it"! I even had a mum call me to say her boy was crying because Ashton said his birthday was today so he thought he was missing out on the party. LOL
Straight after school we all went to Hayden's basketball game.
Straight after that, Ashton went to Kea Scouts. I don't know what he did, but he seemed to have a really good time.
Ashton came home, went straight to the shower and tried to scrub his feet for 10 minutes to get rid of the stains. Then sadly, big brother came into the bathroom and hit him for using all the hot water (which he hadn't) so we had birthday tears.
Hayden was sent to his room and Ashton happily played a computer game.
Then Dad came home and Nana and Uncle Travis arrived and he opened presents.
He got an indoor play tent from me and Tony, a remote control helicopter from Nana and Uncle Travis and a savings bond and $20 from Grandma and Grandpa.
I got him the tent because he and Noah love to gather their special belongings (clothes, books, pens, favourite toys etc) and get cosy with blankets and pillows in cupboards and under tables.
For dinner he had chicken soup and pita bread.
For dessert we had strawberries and dipped them in chocolate sauce. It's strawberry season at the moment and Ashton loves them so much he is always sneaking them out of the fridge.
Ashton is REALLY looking forward to his birthday party on Saturday and wants to talk about it ALL the time!

Ashton, we love you so very much.
You are so, so silly, giggly and loud sometimes and you still need to learn to control yourself, but there really couldn't be a more giving, compassionate and caring boy than you. Whenever we need to feel happy all we have to do is think of you laughing and giggling hysterically at some silly word or thing that you did.


Ashton at 2yrs old:

Ashton now (as Peter Pan for this Halloween):


I stayed up until 1am to get this post done and then was up with Juliet at 3.30...oh, the life of a mum! I'm so glad I did though. Fifteen years from now these precious days will be gone and I will be so grateful for my blog to relive the memories.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love the "young" and "older" photos. Very touching! He sounds like a wonderful little boy!

Anonymous said...

That was a great detailed blog about ash and his birthday day :) he was soo cute at 2! Very special.

Read haydens 'profile' at side too. So funny how gisn is same re nigella sandwiches (its only a weekend great usually but have bn nice n let them have it fr lunch too!), showers, sox, teasing little bro, and food! Gian is often asking 'what are we having?'
Julia