
Last Friday we had a scan done of the baby. At 20 weeks there is still not much fat on the growing baby so the scan pictures don’t look that good. By 32 weeks they look so much cuter.
I was undecided about whether to find out the sex, but Tony was absolutely adamant that we didn’t. (I was secretely hoping he might change his mind about coming to the scan so that I could find out and not tell him, but now I’m glad I don’t know.)
The technician stayed well away from the leg area so neither of us have the slightest clue if we are having a girl or a 4th boy! I don't even have a feeling or an instinct! I just hope the doctor remembers the words "It's a boy" or "It's a girl" and doesn't leave me in suspense on the operating table (I'll be having another Caesarean).
It’s fun not knowing!! Only 4 months to go and we'll know for the rest of our lives anyway. My hosptial bag will simply have to have a little blue bonnet and a little pink bonnet for either or!
The scan appointment cost us $120 and for that price I definitely wanted a good picture of the baby (Tony was being the typical male telling the technican not to worry about it and it didn’t matter, so long as everything was okay with the baby). Throughout the scan the baby was curled up on it’s tummy with its head mostly down and it’s facial features not very visible. After several failed attempts to get the baby to change position we eventually took a short walk outside. When we came back the baby had turned it’s head just enough for this photo. Good baby!
All three of our boys have been born breech (hence the C-sections) so we are curious to see if this one will be too.
It would seem that my pregnancy hormones have definitely kicked in. Last week the 2nd counselor in our bishopric released me as nursery leader. I cried, and for a moment I wasn't sure if I was going to stop! I have LOVED my calling as nursery leader (with the exception of a few tough times here and there) and I simply wasn’t prepared to be released so soon. Now I have to go off to Relief Society and I’m not looking too forward to that. It will take me a while to release myself from the little children, my really wonderful assistants, my responsibilities AND my perfectly organized nursery cupboard! Fortunately the 2nd counselor has just had a newborn so he knows all about emotional mum's-to-be.
I have been counting my luck over the last five months that I haven’t experienced any muscle cramping in my legs during the night, as most woman do. I had them with all three boys and they were not fun. About 5am the other morning I stretched out my leg and had one of the worst muscle spasms in my calve. I practically broke out into a sweat with the pain and had to focus on my breathing to get through it. Anyone would have thought I was in labour having contractions!
I finally got out all my maternity clothes. Ashton seemed excited over the big box of unpacked clothes and asked if they were my "fat clothes"? Then he asked if he could try some on!!

Then yesterday Ashton was upstairs with me in our bedroom while I was getting dressed. We were talking and I casually said to him that I was going to choose one of my maternity tops to wear (I've been wearing normal t-shrits and clothes up until now). Ashton excitedly asked if he could pick out a top for me and then he said, "I want to take your photo." Ashton is really helping to make this pregnancy so much fun.

I have been able to disguise my pregnancy well until now as my tummy is quite small (smaller than I was with the boys). I think it is simply due to the fact that I lost weight before I got pregnant this time and was in better shape than I was in the past. It has been a lot of fun surprising people with our news and to have them shocked that I'm already five months along. Last week I went to a luncheon with some friends from church. Although we use to be in the same ward, we now all live in different neighbourhoods and attend different wards. During our lunch we talked about Christmas shopping, camping over the holidays, kids, etc. and then two of my friends started talking about how they were mentally and physically done with having babies and toddlers. Then they turned to me, questioning whether I was mentally and physically done. I surprised them with my little baby bump and apparently-not news and I will never forget the shocked, but excited and happy look on their faces - what fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment