Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Great Treasure Hunt

About 3 months ago we shared some great news with the boys;

No, I haven’t been eating too much ice-cream! I'm 5 months pregnant! Since Tony's tummy is getting big too - from eating too much ice-cream and watching too much TV - he thought it would be funny to stand side by side and call the photo 'The Tummy Competition - Who's going to win?'

We shared with the boys they were all going to be big brothers again.

We wanted to tell the boys in a creative way so we made up a treasure hunt around the house. We had them spend 15 minutes going from one clue to the next and the last clue ended in the baby’s cot in Noah’s room (still set up from when Noah was a baby – one less thing Tony needs to reassemble!) I desperately tried to find a baby doll but I couldn’t, so we used a teddy bear instead. The boys took instructions out of the cot that read "pick up the teddy, wrap it in a blanket, put it back to bed and open the envelope." Hayden read the note inside the envelope telling them they were going to get a baby brother or sister.

They were super excited and full of questions.

Here is a list of the boys responses:

Noah:The day after we told the boys he asked, "How come the baby is taking so long to come!"

Hayden:"Is this for real?!
I think you’re tricking me . . . and trying to get me punked!"
What are we going to call it . . . Roger?
Mum, how many weeks are you going to stay in the hospital?
I hope it’s a girl baby, so that she won’t want to play Playstation."
AND THE BIG QUESTION FROM HAYDEN:
"Anyway, so how did the baby get in your stomach?" (Tony and I were caught a little off guard with this unexpected question and neither of us was ready to have "the talk" with Hayden. So, we did what any good parent does in such a situation; avoided it. I think we’ll postpone that just a little bit longer!

Ashton:"When did you go to the hospital and get a baby?
I think you’re going to have a girl baby.
Are we going to have a brown baby or a white baby?
I hope it’s a brown baby. I want it to be brown like an Indian because they’re tougher!"
Ashton counted everyone at the table and also counted the "unseen' baby.

That week they went to school and spread the news like wildfire. I’m pretty sure every kid and teacher knew our news within a day.

Hayden seems to love telling people that, “My mum is having a baby.”

The pregnancy wasn’t entirely planned. However, we were still undecided about whether to have one more child. Father in Heaven must have wanted us to welcome one more child into the world, and I like to joke that I seem to be "fertile as a turtle" every single day of the month! I feel very fortunate to be able to get pregnant so easily, because I know of many couples who have tried for years and spend thousands of dollars to get pregnant.

Fortunately for me, I have an attic packed full of baby stuff and have absolutely everything I'll need, including a very large box of maternity clothes fom the States (which is a very good thing since maternity clothes are so expensive here). I saved everything from the boys and kept all their baby things in immaculate condition. I could clearly have this baby without spending a penny . . . but I can’t wait to go and buy a newborn outfit for the hospital stay!

People keep asking whether we are going to find out the sex. Since we have three boys, some seem more than anxious to know what the 4th might be!

My answer:
I am perfectly content with another boy, and I will be in absolute shock with the slight possibility of a girl. I don’t mind if our baby is an alien or half boy, half girl. All I ask is that it is as sweet, loving, placid, well behaved and as easy going as Noah has been, and still is. Noah (although from time to time can still be a rambunctious little boy) is a dream child and looking after him has always been a joy. If we all had children like Noah, parents wouldn’t stop having kids.

We feel that this baby that we are about to have is a blessing and a privilege. We look forward to its arrival, but in the meantime we are enjoying the anticipation and relishing one last chance to be pregnant once again. The boys are fascinated by my growing tummy. Ashton likes to rub my tummy and puts his head to my tummy saying, “Are you okay in their baby!” The other day Noah stuck a Hot Wheel on my tummy and said it was for the baby to play with it. I feel the baby move all the time, especially when I sit or lay down. It’s a special feeling and a constant reminder that a new life is growing inside me.

No comments: