My visiting teaching companion is a very sweet 83 year old lady named 'Winnie Flavell-Mott'. It is thanks to her that I get my visiting teaching done so regularly. She will always call me at the beginning of each month to see when I can pick her up to go and visit our assigned sisters. I'm very grateful for her because if it was left up to me I would get caught up in life and probably not be a very reliable visiting teacher. I have really enjoyed getting to know Winnie over the past year. I like to joke about how she has educated me so well on all the bladder problems I can expect to have when I reach her age!
Winnie spends a lot of time knitting and she makes some really lovely things. She recently showed me 2 jumpers she knitted for her grandchildren and I was so impressed I had to take photos of them. It's amazing to me that she knits without any patterns and just lets the ideas come to her once she begins making something. These two jumpers could easily be sold for a couple of hundred dollars they are so good, but she only enjoys knitting for her family.
I forgot to mention that Winnie is Maori. The funny green looking 'things' are called Maori tiki's - they are made out of green stone and worn by the Maori's as a necklace. The tiki is believed to have magic powers. It is also a good luck charm and represents the unborn human embryo.
There are lots of designs and symbols in the Maori culture. The designs like the ones on the jumper are abstract forms of nature depicting its rhythmic and cyclic patterns.
1 comment:
Winnie is so clever! No patterns! I laughed out loud re the old age bladder probs!
This has been a very cultural blog =)
Juila
Post a Comment