
The other morning I was outside and got such a pleasant surprise when I looked over to see a beautiful bouquet of calla lilies lying by the front door. There was a little note attached to them that said, “Dear Loretta, I hope you have a wonderful day and may the Lord bless your family”. On the back of the note was a poem about recognising the beauty of a woman’s soul. I have no idea who the flowers or note was from, but who ever was kind enough to leave them really made my day. Such a small act of kindness made me smile and made me feel loved - and meant so much. I put the lilies into a vase on the kitchen bench and several times a day I have enjoyed looking at them and admiring their beauty. It has made me realize that I should continue the act of kindness for someone else so their day may be brightened like mine was. These little acts of kindness that we can all do for each other can make such a difference to making a person feel appreciated.
On Monday night I was feeling emotional, tired, and stressed about the repercussions of Tony being out of work. It was dinner time and I decided to let the rest of the family eat while I hung a basket full of laundry out on the drying racks on our deck. (One of the ways we are trying to save money is to not use the dryer). As I turned around to start working my way through the pile our student, Hitomi, stood in the doorway and begun shaking out the clothes and handing me one item of clothing at a time. Her intuition that I could do with the help really touched me and took me by surprise. I would certainly never have asked her to help me with the washing, but somehow she knew I needed it. Her smile, her head nod (which the Japanese often do as a way of saying they want to do something) and her look of ‘let me help you’ - once again meant so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment