Friday, July 24, 2009

Grocery Shopping with Kids...Arghhh!

A little ‘marriage’ story before I begin with the grocery shopping story;

A friend of Tony’s from church called him the other night and convinced him to play Basketball at the church. Hooray, for my husband…he actually went out and exercised!!! Nothing short of amazing! I had quite a laugh however, when he walked in the front door, an hour later, completely out of breath and then went straight to a drawer for his inhaler!!! He desperately needed oxygen. Anyone would have thought he was 96 years old!!!

While he was gone, I rushed around the house trying to pick up the Lego, blocks, dinosaurs and airplanes strewn all over the living room floor, kitchen and under the couch. Then I got all three boys ready for bed (pyjamas on, clothes put away, teeth brushed and rooms tidied). I had to yell for a couple of minutes to calm them down since they were jumping wildly everywhere and making lots of noise. Ashton and Noah were asleep at 8pm and Hayden was calmly and quietly reading to himself in bed. When Tony came home he kindly asked if there was anything he could do. I replied, “Yes please, the kitchen” and he replied “YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN’T DONE THAT YET!” Husbands really do think that there wives can do it all sometimes! If I had been the one to go off and play basketball for an hour I would have come home to toys still strewn everywhere, kids still awake, their rooms a disaster and definitely a dirty kitchen!

Onto the grocery store;
Grocery shopping seems like quite a simple task (walk up and down aisles throwing stuff into a shopping cart and go home again), but as all mums have experienced what an exhausting nightmare it can be when you are trying to shop with all of your children.

I’m use to shopping with my boys and most of the time it’s fairly easy, particularly if I give Noah a Barney magazine to look at while he sits at the front of the shopping cart and particularly if I let Hayden and Ashton go off to the video and toy section. I do find it frustrating though that Ashton is always throwing extra groceries into the shopping cart and when I get home I realize I’ve paid $8 for two cucumbers when I only wanted one. It is also frustrating if I have to spend my whole way around the supermarket battling with Noah to sit down, but fortunately that little phase seems to have passed over now.

Last Friday afternoon I went grocery shopping with the boys and it took me nearly an hour just to get five things, when it could have taken me ten minutes if I had been on my own. First of all, I should never shop on a Friday afternoon because the supermarket and mall car park is packed full of people wanting to get groceries before the weekend. But last Friday I was unorganized and had to go anyway.

The first thing that drove me crazy was that it took me about 10 minutes just to find a park. When I finally got a park that my car would fit into, it then took me forever to work my way through the supermarket because of all the people. I finally got all my groceries scanned and when it was time to pay I realized I’d left my wallet in the car. So, I had to make the boys run all the way back to the car with me while the checkout lady ‘held’ the line (rather embarrassing). When we finally got back to the check out aisle Ashton was jumping up and down because he was about to wet his pants. After we got the toilet over with and paid for the groceries Ashton suddenly realized he’d taken his jacket off somewhere in the supermarket so we had to dodge and push our way through the aisles again looking for his jacket (we finally found it lying on top of the banana chip bin). Then when we walk out of the supermarket for the 4th time, I get slightly distracted by the front cover of a magazine, and Ashton completely disappears into thin air! So, then I have to stand outside the supermarket continuously looking around me, (second embarrassing moment) to the point where I begin to panic, until finally some 10 year old kid in the distance points to Ashton sitting on a crowded bench eating his banana chips. I finally start driving home and realize I’ve forgotten to get the most important thing on the shopping list….MILK….because Noah got his hands on my shopping list and tore it into pieces.

Lessons learned:
1. Put reins on Ashton
2. Make sure he goes to the toilet before we start shopping (although
he can never make himself go before, it’s always during!)
3. Keep shopping list safe in pocket
4. Leave jacket(s) in car
5. Check for wallet

5 comments:

Jen said...

I tried once this summer with all 4. No more. Ever. I feel for you!

Jen said...

Oh, and the husband thing... agreed!

Jen Kesler said...

Ahhh...I feel your pain! It is so much easier to go alone!

Anonymous said...

On your list of lessons you learn- you got # 1 wrong....It should be:
1. Don't take the kids shopping. Make your husband take the kids shopping! ----April Bullard

Loretta Nizetich said...

Good idea, but I don't like having to complain to Tony that he came home with the wrong thing (or forgot something on the list!) We did the shopping on Saturday afternoon as a family and the first thing Tony said when he got in the car was 'EXHAUSTING'!