Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bad Parenting Moments

It has been Hayden’s turn to be sick this week…oh the joys of winter! I had to pick him up from school early on Monday. He walked straight in the house and threw up all over the carpet in the middle of the living room floor!!!!!! Not on the kitchen floor or the garage floor which would have been wayyyy easier to clean up, but the carpet! I was so torn between having sympathy for Hayden and having sympathy for myself having to clean the carpet. I over reacted a little…”WHY on the carpet, WHY didn’t you run to the toilet, WHY didn’t you run to the kitchen floor or the sink!” but poor Hayden didn’t know what was coming it happened so fast. I had to remind myself it wasn’t the huge disaster I thought it was (although I did have to spend a couple of days shampooing the carpet to completely get rid of the stain, moisture and smell). I know my over-reaction is a result of feeling ‘Oh no, not more work. I can hardly keep up with the work I’ve got,’ but I have to keep it a little more in control.

Well, the carpet episode sounds like my bad parenting moment, but my next over-reaction was far worse. I over reacted at something Ashton did during the week and I am still feeling bad about it…wouldn’t it be nice if we could push the rewind button on our bad parenting moments and have a second chance at replaying the same moment in a calm and loving way! What did Ashton do that caused me to yell at him? Well, I sat Ashton at our computer desk and had Ashton choose a birthday card for his friend Gabby. I gave him a permanent marker (how dumb of me!) to do some writing inside the card. Out of the blue this past week Ashton has been trying extremely hard to write and form letters and he has been very, very proud of his accomplishments. As he concentrated on the birthday card I left Gabby’s present unwrapped beside Ashton…a very pretty fabric lunchbox with fairies on it. I left Ashton at the desk and went to help Hayden do something in the other room. When I came back to check on Ashton he had drawn on the lunch box (innocently thinking it would be a wonderful idea to write Gabby’s name on it). I immediately yelled, “No! Not on the lunch box, Ashton how could you, what are you doing?” Ashton was literally crushed at my reaction and began sobbing. All I had to do was see how heart broken his little face was to realize that I cared more about a silly lunch box instead of my son who was only trying to use his initiative and creativity. I sat him on my lap and hugged him tight to make him feel better, repeatedly telling him I was sorry. I tried to tell him that maybe next time he could ask me first before he decorates things! Our children must get so confused by our reactions sometimes because I realized I had got upset simply because I thought I’d have to buy a new lunch box and I didn’t have enough money to buy another one – how is a child ever suppose to know such a thing! Anyway, we went to the party and Gabby loved her lunchbox regardless of Ashton’s vivid marks. I don’t think she noticed or cared in the least. Oh, the never ending lessons we learn!

Very cute picture of Noah;



Ashton with his hot wheel lunch box. Once a month at Ashton's kindy the children get to bring their lunchbox with a packed lunch (they usually have a cooked lunch made for them). 'Lunch box Friday' is Ashton's favourite day. He really looks forward to it and tells me well in advance that he would like lots of junk food (meaning the very special treats we have in our pantry such as little bags of chips and muesli bars).



Noah brushing his teeth;



Noah pretending to brush Barney's teeth;




Noah sweeping the kitchen floor and wearing my shoes;

2 comments:

Jen said...

Well, this makes me feel a little better... I'm not alone in the bad parenting moments....

Anonymous said...

I agree .. you're a real person/parent like all of us =)
Julia
ps have to say tho, with the help of my little white round friends I'm a lot calmer these days. I'll wean off next script and try St John's wort instead. (don't have to publish this bit!)