I've been a Deacon for 2 years. It's been awesome being a Deacon, and I will really miss it when I have to move up next year.
I remember what it felt like to be new to Deacons. I didn't really know what to expect, and at the time I only had a couple of friends. Two years later and I have many great friends who I love doing things with all the time.
One of the major parts of being a Deacon is learning to serve the sacrament on Sundays. You may feel a little bit nervous. At first I was nervous, but then I found out it was very simple and enjoyable. The leaders taught me and showed me what to do. It's a privilege and a blessing to serve the sacrament. I look forward to it every Sunday and it always helps me to feel the spirit.
Being a Deacon you will also get the opportunity to be a messenger for the Bishop during sacrament time. This is where you sit behind the bishopric and they could hand a note to you that you will have to deliver to someone. This job is also really simple and sometimes you may not need to deliver anything.
Being a Deacon means that you not only get to serve the sacrament, but you will learn some new responsibilities like how to prepare and teach a lesson. Everyone takes turns at teaching the lessons on Sunday and your leaders will give you a topic to teach. You will get use to it once you've done it a few times. Teaching the lesson means you get to learn a lot about a topic and share what you learned with the quorum.
My favourite part of Deacons is activity night. We meet one night a week at the chapel. For the activities we get to do games, sports, swimming, hikes, jump off the wharf at the beach and watch movies. Most of the time we get to plan the activities ourselves with the help of our leaders.
Another thing we learn in the Deacons quorum is how to do service. One of my favourite service projects was for the Port family. We all went to their home and helped them clean out their basement.
In the Deacons quorum there is always a president, 1st and 2nd counsellor and a secretary. You will probably get to be one of these at some point. If you have any questions, worries or problems then you can discuss it with your Deacons president or one of the leaders.
Having the priesthood has grown my testimony and faith over the last 2 years. Through being a Deacon I've learned a lot about the gospel. I'm grateful for the knowledge I have now, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the Young Men's programme.
In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen
(Note: Noah didn't include anything about the temple as he hasn't been yet. Our NZ temple is closed for renovations)
No comments:
Post a Comment