Ooops! I had no idea it's been so long since I last wrote a post.
This week our family has experienced the joys of having head lice. Fortunately Tony, Hayden and myself have been lucky enough to escape them, although Juliet, Ashton and Noah......not so lucky.
I remember thinking to myself a few months ago how lucky we were to have never had them. Guess I jinxed myself!
I noticed Ashton and Noah itching their heads for a couple of days, but (and I'm embarrassed to say this) I pretty much ignored it. I actually thought they simply just had a dry scalp so I washed their hair with tea tree oil for a couple of days, and assumed the problem would disappear. But then they started complaining about the itchiness and that's when it all began.....
Hours of treatment
Hours of combing
Hours of laundry
Hours of more treatment
Hours of more combing
and hours of more laundry.
As kids often do though, they found the fun in this nightmare and were fascinated at looking at their dead head lice through a magnifying glass.
Unfortunately, Noah has had it the worst. He must of had it for quite some time before he even started itching. After a couple of treatments we still discovered dozens and dozens of nits amongst his hair. We even resorted to trying to vacuum them out, but there were far too many and it was completely impossible to hand pick them all out. A hairdresser wouldn't go near his hair to cut it, so the only option it left us was to shave his hair off.
Here's a photo of Noah last week standing in a sun shower:
(with a full head of soft, shiny, bouncy hair)
And here's some photo's of Noah this afternoon getting his head shaved by Uncle Travis.
I was a little uneasy about Noah getting his head shaved because I knew he'd look very different and I loved his longish hair, but Noah was really excited and didn't mind a new look at all.
The whole family agrees that the 'new' Noah looks really cool! The best thing of all - Noah loves his hair gone. I wish I had captured the smile on his face when he 1st felt the fuzz.
At least I wont have to get his haircut for quite sometime, and the timing is perfect with summer on its way.
Lesson learned this week: The moment the kids start itching their heads, check for lice IMMEDIATELY!








No comments:
Post a Comment