Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween

Ashton as a dinosaur parades around Nana's backyard



Noah as Mickey Mouse


A very sad Mickey Mouse who doesn't want his photo taken.

Mickey Mouse takes a walk down the steps at Nana's house.


A very serious Mickey who's not impressed by the decorations or costumes.


Getting ready to leave our house and head for Nana's. Hayden as Superman.



Ashton is a very happy dinosaur and is planning on eating lots and lots of lollies (candy)



Noah refuses to look at the camera and smile!



Nana with Noah and Ashton (Superman Hayden is at his school disco)





The bench in Nana's backyard with her funny sign...clever Nana. Fortunately, Peter thinks it's funny too!



Peter, Nana, Noah and Ashton patiently wait for the trick or treaters.




Nana as Ragedy Ann and Peter as Dracula.



Seyheon as a witch.



Nana in the kitchen at her very pretty window



Noah takes a break from all the action and relaxes on the couch. He had a good time in the end and decided it was fun after all.
I had planned on all three boys dressing up as pirates, but at the last minute Hayden decided he wanted to be Superman instead. Then, when I pulled the costume box out, Ashton asked me to put on three or four different costumes until he finally decided he wanted to be a dinosaur. Noah didn't haven't a clue what was going on, but he very willing put on the Mickey Mouse costume with a happy face (although you'd never know it looking at the photos).
The boys had a great time at Nana and Peter's. Every year they put a lot of effort into decorating their front yard and dressing up. Sadly, many people here do not like Halloween and do not participate, so there are no neighbourhoods to trick or treat (only a few houses here or there), no pumpkin patches and no halloween parades. In fact, many churches, schools and communities discourage trick or treating and purposely put on other events on halloween. For example, Hayden's school purposely put on a disco in the evening and our community put on a huge fireworks display for the lighting of their Christmas tree at the mall. All this on Halloween night! I'm not entirely sure why so many people are opposed to it, but from what I gather some old fuddy duddies still believe it's evil and others think trick or treating is not safe (NZ is far safer than America!). I am glad I lived in the States for 10 years and got to experience a 'real' Halloween. I think it is so much fun and I miss what an exciting time it is to decorate your house and dress up. We decorated our house a little, but we were the only ones in our whole neighbourhood. We're grateful that at least Nana and Peter love to get into the halloween spirit; which is nice for the boys. They do such a good job with their house that 'everyone' who is into Halloween knows to come to their house for lollies. It was fun to finish off our Halloween night by watching a spectacular fireworks display from the Albany Stadium. Hayden enjoyed the fireworks, but Ashton only started to enjoy it half way through as he sat on my lap and cuddled into me, and Noah was so terrified that Tony had to take him back to the car!
I forgot to add that Noah's Mickey Mouse outfit is the best money I've ever spent. All three boys have worn it and every year it is always a big hit. Hayden also has a Mickey Mouse outfit to fit him, but he is way too cool for it now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh! I just posted a comment and internet went funny and lsot it!!!

Anyways, the boys all look adoreable/cool!! and so neat that mum and Peter dress up too! Will definitely visit their house next year, Gian and C Jr will love it =)