Ashton heads off to the hardware store with Tony in his superman pyjamas. They shrunk after being in the dryer and now fit Noah, but Ashton still insists on wearing them. He still looks very cute, especially with his added accessory - Thomas sunglasses!I’ve just made it through two weeks of school holidays. Things have been pretty full on around our house with the boys having friends over everyday. In fact, I feel as if the last two weeks have been one LONG CONTINUOUS day!!
The boys have spent much of their time tearing around the house in their superman capes, jumping off furniture and climbing all over each other as if they were jungle gyms. They have also spent much of their time destroying the house with every toy and game they own being pulled out from cupboards and scattered across the floor. (I did have a rule: Only one game out at a time - I just forgot to enforce it - or probably ran out of energy!)
I prefer to call holiday time CHAOS time. It's amazing how it seems to take children such a short time to create a complete disaster in the house, and yet it takes SOOO LONG to clean it all up! We have certainly had a 'lived in' house over the past two weeks, and of course, it has been anything BUT quiet! We have tried to teach Ashton to have a quiet voice when he plays, but he just doesn't seem able to comprehend the meaning of the word! Most of the time I 'switch off' to my children's noise very easily - a mother of three boys has no choice in learning how to do that - but if I can't hear one of my boys playing, then I always notice. And I always know that something is UP! So, one morning while I was busy doing stuff, I noticed I couldn't hear Noah pushing his toys around the house or making any noise. I immediately thought, "Oh boy, what has he got into now" but when I went to look for him I found my sweet little boy had crashed on the floor and was sound asleep with his blankie at the top of the stairs!


I know I've mentioned Hayden’s addiction to PlayStation several times, but this paragraph will have to be the eighth! We only rent the PlayStation games as they cost a lot of money to buy, so I let Hayden rent a new game over the holidays. He is madly into Star Wars of late, so he chose a Star Wars game – Lego Star Wars – where all the characters from Star Wars are made out of Lego. His friend, Gian, (G-on) came over and he and Hayden played this game for 5 hrs straight. I almost had to force them to eat. Gian ended up staying the night at our house, and Tony and I set them up in the living room with sleeping bags. I let them play until 11pm and then I dimmed the lights and told them it was time to sleep. I left them in half darkness to read Hayden’s star wars books together and went up to bed. At 2am I woke up and noticed all the lights on downstairs. I went down to turn the lights off, only to discover that Hayden and Gian were wide awake still playing PlayStation. When they eventually noticed me standing in the doorway they both had big smiles on their face with enormous red eyes. They looked like a pair of zombies, yet their little fingers were still going crazy pushing buttons on their controls. Unfortunately, I had to ruin the fun by getting cross, and they were asleep five minutes later. I have not been able to get the Stars Wars tune out of my head - all week! (I wonder why). The next day both boys were a bit grumpy and on edge (no surprise of course). Hayden badly wanted to stay the following night at Gian’s house and spent 20 minutes dramatically asking my permission for him to stay: PLEEEASE MUM CAN I STAY, PLEEEEAAASSSEEE! I SAID PLLEASSSSEE! I PROMISE I’LL BE GOOD. After 20 minutes of constant asking with long drawn out PLEASES, Hayden says one final time, “MUM PLEASE. I’M NOT BEGGING, BUT PLEEEAASSSEEE! I guess I need to teach him what begging is because little does he know he’s really good at it!
And, no he didn't get to stay the night as he was way too tired.
We didn't get to do anything particularly fun or exciting over the holidays - such as camping or going to the snow as everyone else seemed to do - but we still had a good time just being together as a family and hanging out around our house. It sure was nice to wake up in the mornings and not have to rush out the door by 8:30am. We have a camping trip planned for December and January, and maybe next year we will join the crowds to have fun in the snow at Mt Ruapahue. So many people say it's a beautiful place to go, and it seems as if half of the students at Pinehill School (and Auckland) stay there over the holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment