Sunday, February 28, 2021

Noah's photography

Noah's starting off 2021 with a new passion - photography.

But first, I will explain how that all happened....from the very beginning.

Noah decided at the end of last year he wasn't very happy at Westlake Boys High School.  He enjoyed the classes and sports and had great teachers, however, he only had 2 good friends (Matthew and Diyari), and longed to go to the same school as some of his church friends.

We tried every thing we could to get him into Rangitoto College with his close church buddies Hyrum and Manaaki, but had no success.  The only way he was going to get accepted was if we moved house to be in the school zone.  I even tried a heartfelt letter to the school principal explaining Travis was, and still is, one of their very popular itinerant guitar teachers, and has been for several years.  Trying to push for that connection was to no avail either.

So, we just let things be over the Christmas holidays, not really knowing what was going to happen.  I was happy for Noah to stay at Westlake as academically he had done well, and I loved that the school was strict and had high expectations of the boys.  

Then, during the holidays Noah attended a church camp called FSY (For the Strength of Youth).  During that time, he made several more church friends and discovered most of them went to Albany Junior High School.  Next thing we knew, Noah was pleading to go there.  I was resistant at first, as that school was a whole different kettle of fish compared to Westlake, but I soon realised Noah's happiness had high priority, and if he was happy, he was much more likely to excel.

So off we went for an interview, and everything felt right.  During the interview Noah had to choose his subjects and mentioned he wanted to take the photography class, but the teacher who interviewed us said he would need a really good DSLR camera.  We both shrugged and said never mind, so Noah choose Food Tech instead.  A few days later Noah received his timetable and to our surprise he was put into the photography class.  

Then I spend days texting and emailing different people about how to get a camera in good condition that wasn't years old, and that wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg (and the pressure was on because Noah wasn't able to do any of the work in class without his own camera).  A man I knew came to mind, and the condensed version of the story is this man Harry, text me to say he had a Nikon D90 that he had barely used.  He was willing to sell it to me for an absolute bargain.  

I truly believe this photography class was meant to be.  Just like that, Noah is so engaged in his new hobby carrying around his camera everywhere he goes, and taking pics of anything he can.  He hasn't been taught anything about focus, exposure, noise, composition, depth of field, etc etc, and yet this week he has managed to get some awesome pics of his new friends in his photography class.  He takes his camera to school everyday so that at lunch times he can take photos of groups of kids walking around and hanging out.  The other students seem to like it and happily pose so Noah can take their pictures.

I am so excited that Noah will get really good by the end of the year, but in the meantime, I wanted to blog his very first photos so we can look back in a year to see how far he's come.  

For a complete beginner these shots below are super good!

 






No comments: