
The biggest danger of having a tree right next to your house is the fact that the roots put major pressure on the house, especially when the tree has reached full maturity and the roots extend under the house, garage and driveway. Over the past year we had begun to notice more and more cracks in the walls of our house. After seeking some advice we knew the roots of such an enormous tree were causing long term house damage. The tree was way higher than our two-storied house and the canopy of it was at least 40 feet.
Our tree in the middle of Winter:
I didn't care too much about deep cracked walls, I just cared about our special tree!! When Tony first made up his mind that our tree had to be taken down I put up a fight for months to try and save it.
But I didn't win, and now our beautiful tree is almost down. I was more attached to the tree than I realized and I have been rather emotional with all the stages of cutting it down. The first weekend Tony and a friend started cutting it down I took the boys out and didn't want to come home. When I eventually did, I tried my best to ignore what was going on outside, but eventually my emotions got the better of me and I had a good cry.
Ashton and I had a good talk about why the tree was so special and why I liked to refer to it as 'MY Giving Tree'.
I explained to him how much joy it had given me. I told him how much I stared at the tree every day from the kitchen window as I did the dishes.
I told him how I had spent so many summer evenings doing stretches/exercises under the canopy of the tree after my evening walks, and how much joy I got from looking up at it.
I told him how much joy we got from having the tree right outside our balcony doors in our bedroom. I loved to lay in bed at night seeing the moonlight shine on it. It was special to be able to lay in bed and look at such beauty only a few feet away. And mostly, I loved to lay in bed morning and night and watch the leaves change colour in the autumn and slowly fall. In spring it was always exciting each day to see the buds finally open and to see beautiful bright green leaves appear, branch by branch. So many nights and afternoon naps I lay on the bed enjoying the tree and thinking to myself that I should take a photo of its beauty, but I never did. Its image from our bed is definitely etched in my mind though. Fortunately, Tony took a few photos of it last month without it's leaves:
Ashton, who always has such a caring heart, came up with a little idea to help me feel better. He secretly gathered a couple of branches, and saw dust from the tree and made a little arrangement on my bedside table. He patiently waited for me to head upstairs without telling me what he'd done. I eventually noticed it, and of course, it put a smile on my face that he had been so thoughtful.
So here's what our tree looks like at the moment (below) - rather sad to see. Goodbye beautiful tree, you will be missed greatly and remembered forever! We thank you for all your joy! The experience of this tree has made me realize this month how wonderful nature is. God created a beautiful world of trees and plants for us to enjoy, and here in NZ, we are so fortunate to be surrounded by so many trees. Next time you see a tree, don't just think of it simply as a tree. Look for it's beauty and realize it's so much more.
Saturday, 4 October.
Tony hired a 'Mega-monster chainsaw' today to finish cutting up the base of the tree. It took him a good 5 hours to work his way through such solid wood. We now have a humongous pile of wood on our driveway which Tony has sold as firewood. Tony also has a very sore, achy back and arms from all the bending over and hard work (the chain saw was pretty heavy!). The final stage is getting someone in to do the stump grinding and to start the process of decomposing the roots (am I sounding like a tree expert!) The whole process has been a few weeks and I'm finally accepting the tree is down, but the weird thing is that I keep imagining someones telling me I've got one day to piece it all back together, just the way it use to be.










2 comments:
I feel your pain, Loretta. Trees are the best plant on this earth. The little shrine on your bedside table is so sweet! :)
It hurt so much to cut down this beautiful tree. We received so much joy from it. It is sadly missed.
Tony
Post a Comment