Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fear & Rain

I had a scary experience this week. The other morning the Japanese girl next door (Keyoko)came running into our house in a frantic state begging for me to help her. I was upstairs putting Juliet down for a nap so I got quite a scare when I turned around and saw her in the bedroom. I ran with her next door and found our neighbour lying on the garage floor completely lifeless and despondent. Her eyes were wide open but she was starring straight through me (this was freaky!). I ran to the phone and continued the 111 call that Keyoko had started. Our neighbour had a pulse and was breathing but she was only mumbling sounds and had no idea what had happened to her. Fortunately, the ambulance arrived quickly (even though it seemed like a long wait at the time) and our neighbour was taken off to hospital. It turns out she had a seizure. It sure was scary to see our neighbour in such a state, especially when she is always so bubbly, friendly and active. That was definitely my first experience of being scared and feeling panicked in an emergency. Poor Keyoko was very shaken up and emotional afterwards, but she did a great job at doing all the right things that she was suppose to.

We have had two weeks of continuous rain. I normally love the rain and don't mind wet and cloudy days, but not when the kids are off school. Being cooped up in the house with 3 energetic boys is not fun when you've run out of things to do! I was so fed up with the weather yesterday that I decided to ignore the rain and give into the boys pleading to ride their scooters. We went to the Albany race track and they rode around in pouring rain for nearly 2 hours. They were very, very wet afterwards but they loved it and felt much better for having got rid of some of their energy. Luckily for me no one got hurt or went sliding off their scooters onto the wet concrete. They had a few little falls, but it takes something pretty serious to hold my boys back. Hayden woke up this morning and said to me, "That was so fun yesterday riding in the rain."

No comments: