Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cookies with a surprise ingredient

About a month ago I discovered the bottom of our pantry was infested with moths. Every time I opened the pantry to get something out of it there was a moth flying around. I would kill one moth and then another would appear. I finally cleared everything out from the bottom shelf to discover moths everywhere….some dead, some alive and some inside opened bags of flour and baking products. I threw every opened thing away (just to be on the safe side) and I cleaned the bottom shelf absolutely spotless. There was no chance that any moth had survived my cleaning frenzy. Even though I threw out about 5 bags of opened flour (I use plain, rye, wholemeal, etc) I decided not to throw away one opened bag of oats. After a careful inspection and no sign of moths I figured it was okay to keep.

This weekend Tony decided to make chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. They turned out delicious and all of us have eaten at least 8 each since they came out of the oven Saturday night.

Yesterday I decided I would make something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time…my own toasted muesli. I threw all the ingredients together and put it in the oven. As I was cleaning up the kitchen and putting all the ingredients away….the main ingredient being oats….I suddenly looked at the oats bag a little closer and got suspicious that there were not ‘just’ oats in the bag. I couldn’t figure out why the inside of the bag looked like it was covered with cobwebs. As I looked a little closer, I suddenly felt ill when I noticed tiny white slugs/worms crawling in the bag….not just one, two, three, four, five…but eight of them! How could I not have noticed!! But then again, who thinks to examine the inside of a bag when you are in the middle of making something. I felt sick to my stomach to see these little slugs crawling around. I felt even more sick to know that Tony had used the oats in the cookies and we had been eating them all weekend. I could almost taste them in my mouth just thinking about it! It’s one thing to be on fear factor and win money for eating bugs, but it’s another thing to end up eating them for no reason at all!

3 comments:

Jen said...

You poor things! That is truly disgusting. I will be checking my flour now!!

Travis Hill said...

Hey, if moths are flying out of your pantry it's because they are laying lava/eggs - anything OPEN must go! Remeber that for next time:) the same thing happened to me at phils flat - we had little weavel looking things crawling around everywhere in the pantry - freak out!

Anonymous said...

After you told me, last night I was paranoid looking in my pantry! A sure sign is the moths flying out isn't it?

I'm sure they're a good source of protein like huhu grubs!

Julia